Monday, August 17, 2009

Racing at the Echo Tri (back on July 10th)

I wanted to switch to sprint. But in order to do that I would have had to disqualify myself. So I took a deep breath and decided to race Olympic with the goal of finishing. The longest bike I've been on isn't even close to the 24 mile roller coaster that I was about to do. But I knew I could do it. I have a powerful mind and that is what gets me across the finish line so fast sometime.

The race was amazing and now I know the value and importance of a good training base for a race like the Olympic distance. Well, I've always known the value, but now I've experienced the value of having an aerobic base. It was the bike that created the biggest challenge. It was a hilly and long, but a beautiful course around Echo Reservoir and up a canyon decorated with red rock and green trees, grasses, and bushes. I was able to hold a decent pace, but not the pace that I would expect from myself with another 500 miles under my belt. The turnaround came all too soon and I found myself flying down the canyon. I was back much faster than expected.

The run was awesome! My pace wasn't far from what I normally would hold. I felt good on my run and was able to maintain my pace the whole time. My focus was positive and with each positive thought I maintained my energy and fueled my legs. The finish line came with a well deserved massage from Lisa who really worked my tight hips. It was a beautiful day at the races!

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Jamie. It was so fun to see you there. You did amazing, considering... Will you be at Jordanelle this weekend? I hope to see you there.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete